Travel Documentation Required to Cruise

Passports are not required for U.S. Citizens when a sailing begins and ends in the same U.S. cruise port. However, having your passport or passport card allows for quicker passage through customs and border patrol and eliminates the need for bringing additional documentation. Having a United States passport is always recommended to anyone traveling outside of the United States, regardless of the means of transportation.

If you have a passport or passport card, you are all set.

If you'd like to apply for a passport or passport card (valid for cruising roundtrip from the United States but not permissible for international flights), please visit the U.S. Department of State website to begin the application process.

*you should begin the application process no less than 12 weeks from your date of travel to avoid rush processing fees and the risk of your travel documents not being to you in time

If you do not have a passport and have no interest in obtaining one, you'll be required to bring the following documentation with you to the cruise port.

A valid, government issued photo ID (driver's license or state ID)



Birth Certificate, Original or Certified copy is required.

*photo copies may not be accepted

Children under the age of 16 need only an original or certificated copy of their birth certificate to travel. If a minor will be traveling without either of the birth parents listed on the birth certificate, a notarized letter of permission of international travel from the absentee parent may be required to allow international passage.

In addition...


If you'll be traveling with a photo ID and birth certificate and have had a legal change of name (the name on your driver's license does not match the name on your birth certificate due to marriage, adoptions, etc.), you will need to bring all of the supporting court documentation to verify every name change you have had.

Every change of name from the name issued on the birth certificate to what your photo ID now shows must be documented and the documentation must be brought with you to the cruise port. Documentation you should bring if applicable...


Marriage certificates for every marriage

Divorce papers for every divorce

Adoption papers

Court papers showing other legal changes of name 


The required name change documentation should be original or clear, legible copies supporting all of your name changes and it will be required at embarkation (check-in with the cruise line at the cruise port) and by customs and border patrol during debarkation (returning to the U.S from the sailing).

New guidelines for accepted forms of identification required for air travel have been release and are now being required by some local and state agencies. If you'll be purchasing airfare for your upcoming trip, be sure to check your local state requirements for the identification that will be required for you to provide at the airport in your state.

  • Travel by Parker Facebook
  • Travel by Parker Twitter
  • Travel by Parker on Instagram

© 2009-2020 Travel by Parker - Las Vegas, NV - 702.605.3400

licensed by the state of Nevada